Sunday, December 21, 2008

Gnarly Weather in PDX

Well, Its been a few days of "abnormal" weather here in Portland. Freezing rain, then turns to rain, then snow, back to rain, its been like this all week, In fact, church was canceled again today, it was legit though, as you'll see from the photos, it snowed yesterday and last night a bunch, it was like 10 degrees too, The wind on the East side of town here in Troutdale where we live can be outrageous, enough that it literally makes the house shake. It did that all night last night while it was snowing, so this morning there were some insane snow drifts! our grass had nothing on it, but then on the other side of my car their was a good 2 feet of snow, and it must have rained last night too, cuz the top 10 inches was solid, perfect for making blocks. the rest was super light snow that was hard to shovel. Here's the photos......oh, and the best part is.......its going to be just as cold all week.....
This is our front door, I went through the garage to get outside. The funny this is, everything you see in this photo is covered by our roof, snow shouldn't be here.... Pretty SWEET! Imagine Opening your garage in the morning(none of this was there last night...) and seeing this! Looks like fun! yea, right. Actually, i kind of enjoyed being out in the snow. I love the snow.
side view standing under our covered porch, the front door is just to the right. Looking out to the driveway from under the front porch. From across the street
Ah.... my weapon of choice, Well......not really a choice, this was my ONLY option to dig out.....its never snowed here like this in the 3 years we've been here. So we don't own a snow shovel.....YET!
Not bad, I built up the side to try to "Prevent" the snow drifts from happening again tonight. The drift on the Driveway literally went halfway into the street, thanks to our neighbor who parks along the curb just in front of his house next door, which, created a PERFECT area for the snow to settle, right in front of our driveway. And it was so deep out there I had to shovel all of it, out into the road and all.
Id say that's a darn good job! 3 hours later I might add! So...we were free....time to check out the rest of the neighborhood......I thought we had it bad!
This dude ain't moving til the spring sometime! LOCO~!
This kids got the right idea! Turn Lemons into Lemonade right! His parents are wondering how their getting out of their house to get to work tomorrow, but he doesn't care one bid. That has got to be a HUGE snowdrift to be able to ride a sled down the thing(and he cruised across the street in front of my car too! Kid was cookin!)
And I thought I had it bad.....This guy lives at the end of a street that the wind comes blowing down and runs right into his house, thus the huge snow drifts in front, Don't ask me how he got all that snow moved.....I would have just shut the blinds and went back to bed had in got up and seen this.

2 comments:

Kori said...

Very impressive for just 1 storm!

Jessie said...

wow, I think Troutdale definately got more snow than Gresham!